Saturday, November 7, 2009

They're Home!

It’s official – my Mum & Dad are home from Europe :)

I had to run off to Sydney to pick them up in their car – as they had SO much luggage that Virgin wanted to charge them over $400 in excess baggage charges to fly from Sydney to the Gold Coast – which is only a one hour flight!

The trip only took four days – so it was a quick one, but I got to spend some time with my Sydney family & it was probably a good thing that I was tired as it made it easier to remember how to speak & understand two languages at the same time!

My dad is from Malta & so his family speak a hybrid mix of English & Maltese – they’ve obviously forgotten that I married an Aussie & that we speak very little Maltese at home & so I’ve forgotten most of what I knew as a child; so being tired made remembering the words an easy thing to do. Don’t ask me why but it did!

My parents were staying with my Dad’s baby sister & husband, who they travelled around Europe with & so they made sure we visited their youngest daughter & her babies. I was amazed at how little Maltese [virtually none] my younger cousin actually speaks to her kids, when she speaks & understands better than I & she married another first generation Australian from a Maltese family like her – doesn’t make sense to me ...

So far, we haven’t seen any of the presents that Mum & Dad brought back as Mum cannot remember where she packed anything – the cases were that full!

Thankfully, my parents are all safe & back on the Gold Coast – only thing is we cannot say that the cat is particularly happy to have them back – she’s virtually ignored my Dad since they got home & let me tell you he is not happy about it at all. Somehow, I suspect he’s going to be sneaking her treats until she decides to “talk” to him again ...

Until next time, take care & make sure you hug & kiss the ones you love.

Ciao
Mish :)
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment